Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rainy Tuesday

Today its dark and dreary outside.  Really makes me wanna climb back into my bed and sleep the day away.  HA,, ,yeah right.  Maybe I can do that when I'm 60, have no kids at home and don't babysit anymore. :)   I have a lot on my todo list today so I cant be lazy.  Last week I told you I was working in my kitchen,, decluttering and reorganizing.  I got a good start but didnt finish,  I needed more shelf liner to finish the cupboards.  I got that last night so I will try to finish the cupboards today and then I need to wash the walls to finish up the spring cleaning in that room.  I will attempt to post some pics as requested, but let me warn you, My kitchen is nothing special! Rather boring if you ask me.  I am promising myself that we will get it repainted before the summer is over,,, I'd like to do it before May actually so when Ben's mom comes out it will be completed.  I'm so excited to do it, I've had the color I want in my head forever!

Also today I am plugging away on laundry, somehow I've fallen behind a little.  I want to get all the bed sheets changed and remade too.  That can become a big job with 5 beds to do.  I wish it was sunny so I could hang them outside to dry but its supposed to be rainy for the rest of the week and I dont wanna wait that long. 

On a totally different note,  last night I was in town with my oldest doing some grocery shopping and she told me about this pair of shoes she REALLY  wants.  She had a sales flier in the car with her and showed them to me,,,, One Hundred Dollars!!!!!!!!!!!   I laughed and said yeah right,, you know I will not pay that much for a pair of shoes.. Then she informed me how EVERYONE in her school has them(sure).  And how totally amazing they are.  Thats when I started feeling bad,,,then she said,,, " yeah, you'll probably get them for me when they are marked down to clearance for 20 dollars like 2 years from now and they arn't cool anymore".  :(  That made me feel really bad.  I think life would be so much easier if I homeschooled and the kids didnt watch t.v., then they wouldnt even know about these types of fad things.    I would love to be able to just go out and buy everything my kids wanted but what would that teach them?    

The other thing is, we are doing ok with money right now, so its not like I don't have the money for them.  I just can not bring myself to buy a pair of shoes for that amount of money,, especially for a kid that will probably grow out of them in a years time.  I told her she could buy them herself with her own money.  She will be getting some soon from her report card.   I just have this guilt inside me.  Am I a bad mom for not getting them for her when I have the funds to do so?   Ugh.....   

Do you guys spend that kind of money on things like that for your kids?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think your response is great! We struggle with that with Corbyn also. But since he gets an allowance we are making him use his own money if he really wants something bad enough. I think they tend to appreciate it more that way. He doesn’t like to use it cause he is saving for a Kinect so it really makes him think if it is something he really wants… It is easy as a parent to want to put them in a bubble and protect them and do for them all the time but they will never learn to appreciate what they have if they are always handed everything! Very hard sometimes though!

Tereza said...

I dont either!! My older kids have part time jobs and buy those kind of things on their own. I know it sucks the way society is but oh well...what can you do? Just do your best! They'll grow up one day...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...